[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Barnhart <joebarnhart at yahoo dot com>
 To:  Jason Collins <jason at mammothcomputers dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Compact Flash Adapters for PC installation
 Date:  Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:33:58 -0800 (PST)
> On 12/13/05, Jason Collins <jason at mammothcomputers dot com> wrote:
> > Thanks all for the kind replies.  I've ordered some of the
> suggested
> > modules and hopefully they will work.  I don't think that it's the
> cards
> > themselves and here's why (correct me if you think I'm missing
> > something)

I did not see your original message, but I have had some recent
experience in this area and made a discovery.

We are using a Via single-board computer for our m0n0wall at work and
its CF card recently died.  It uses a CF to IDE adapter made by PC
Engines (of Switzerland) which is widely available.

I bought a replacement IDE card and flashed the m0n0wall image from my
laptop using a USB adapter.  When I put the CF card in the Via
computer, it would fail to boot.  I went through this process numerous
times, and even tried different CF cards, all with identical results.

Then I started experimenting with the BIOS settings for the Via.  I
discovered that it booted and ran perfectly if I changed the disk type
to "CHS" addressing instead of "LBA" or "Auto".  You may want to give
this a try.

http://mail.yahoo.com