[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall for a small ISP
 Date:  Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:29:24 -0500
On 12/17/05, Roy Boverhof <furymedia at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Simon SZE-To <simonchs at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > Take a look of this example:
> > http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/examples-filtered-bridge.html
>
> This example mentions an OPT interface, will this only work with a
> LAN, WAN and OPT interface? (My server only has 2 NIC's)

In a bridge like that example shows, you have to use an OPT interface
because you can't bridge LAN to WAN (for several reasons).  Just slap
in a cheap PCI NIC for the LAN (only will be used for initial
configuration), and use the onboards for WAN and OPT.

I wrote the document linked earlier based on a real configuration in a
colocation environment with a couple servers behind it that host some
of the m0n0.ch sites as well as several other open source projects.
It runs on a Soekris 4801 (266 MHz), with the LAN interface
disconnected.  It's been flawless under pretty signifcant load.

-Chris