[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alain Fauconnet <alain at ait dot ac dot th>
 To:  =?unknown-8bit?B?Suly6W15?= Cluzel <j dot cluzel at online dot fr>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] captive portal question
 Date:  Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:05:56 +0700
Jeremy,

> Hello,
>
> Just another one stupid question concerning the captive portal part of
> m0n0wall.
> As I saw there (http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/software.php) m0n0wall relies on
> some 3rd party softwares.
> So, why trying to reinvent the wheel with the captive portal scripts ?
> there are already some good softwares to do the job (wifidog,
> chillispot...), why don't integrate (one of) them to m0n0wall ?
> Please, don't blame me, I don't criticize all the job done on the
> captive portal, but I don't understand...

I'm not going to reply in place of M0n0wall's developers, but after
spending some time evaluating all these captive portals for our own
needs (including NoCat too) I must say that they're either far from
having the stability and the the polished user interface M0n0wall has
(NoCat) or are kind of heavyweight applications, not fitting
quite well with the M0n0wall model (Wifidog, Chillispot...).
Furthermore aren't almost all of them more or less dependant on Linux
Netfilter?

Greets,
_Alain_