[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Gianluca Bosco <g dot bosco at bitache dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] complete traffic shaping for azureus/BT
 Date:  Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:08:02 +0100
> In my home network, there is a traffic shaper rule that deprioritizes
> 6881-6999 source traffic, and a separate rule that deprioritizes
> 6881-6999 destination traffic. All is well for incoming connections,
> because the incoming Azureus ports in the network are within that
> port range. However, I think that there is trouble with outgoing
> connections going to non-standard ports. When I use TCPView, I see

I had exactly the same problem with my Emule. The fact that Emule
clients could be configure to DO not use the standards ports, made my
traffic shaper rules almost useless.

Following is the solution I came up with: block *all* the outgoing
connections as default, and allow only Emule connections to the
standard Emule ports.

This made sure that, my emule connections where matched always by the

to connect to emule clients using non-standard ports -- but for me this
is acceptable.

shaping application that can match traffic depending on the type of the
highlevel-protocol? Something that can recognize "emule" packets,
"azureus" packets" (as many network analyzer do) instead of classifying
connections based on the classic sourceip/destinationip
sourceport/destinationport etc etc?

-Gianluca Bosco

----- End forwarded message -----