[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Different networks on OPT1
 Date:  Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:50:01 -0500
On 12/20/05, Roy Boverhof <furymedia at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after a lot of testing I have made a nice configuration. I am planning
> to use m0n0wall in a small ISP setting.
>
> I just have one problem, I need atleast 1 IP-adress outside my range
> so I have 2 nameservers in different ip ranges. (which is need to
> register certain domains)

and there is very good reason for this, the servers need to be in
different physical and topological locations.  See RFC2182.  If you
don't have the resources to set up two physical locations, you should
put a server in colocation in another facility for your secondary DNS,
and as a backup for your other services.

If you must completely disregard this, you'll either need a bridging
setup, or another NIC in your m0n0wall for this additional network.
Only one subnet per interface is allowed (without a router on that
segment) unless you're running a bridge.

-Chris