[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Roy Boverhof <furymedia at gmail dot com>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Different networks on OPT1
 Date:  Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:38:02 +0100
On 12/21/05, Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:
> and there is very good reason for this, the servers need to be in
> different physical and topological locations.  See RFC2182.  If you
> don't have the resources to set up two physical locations, you should
> put a server in colocation in another facility for your secondary DNS,
> and as a backup for your other services.
>
> If you must completely disregard this, you'll either need a bridging
> setup, or another NIC in your m0n0wall for this additional network.
> Only one subnet per interface is allowed (without a router on that
> segment) unless you're running a bridge.

I understand the normal reason for this, but when the main mailserver
is in the same network as the main nameserver and this network goes
down it doesn't matter if you have a secondary nameserver in another
network since the sites and mail won't arrive anyway ;)

What if I changed the netmask to accept 212.102.x.x for my network?
Since there is another router/firewall in front of my firewall (that
my ISP uses) this should be a problem? (Or am I completely missing
something here...hehe...)

Kind regards,

Roy