[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Different networks on OPT1
 Date:  Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:18:48 -0500
On 12/21/05, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:

> I second this.  Additionally if a mailserver is down, a sending mail
> programs may handle it different than a mailserver with a failed DNS query.
> You may loose more mail the other way.

Yes, exactly.  With no DNS, you're far more likely to lose mail than
if you have DNS but no responding mail servers.  Plus, if you have to
move to another facility, you're looking at 24-72 hours for name
server changes to replicate worldwide, while if you have a secondary
DNS offsite you could be back up and running immediately after setting
up new servers.

On 12/21/05, Roy Boverhof <furymedia at gmail dot com> wrote:

> What if I changed the netmask to accept 212.102.x.x for my network?

assuming both subnets are within that network, that would work.  I
doubt you have that whole /16 though, and if you configure your
network as including that, you won't be able to communicate with
anything that's actually on that network and is outside your network.

-Chris