[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mas Libman" <mas at masandwendy dot com>
 To:  "'Joseph & Katie Jackson'" <jkjackson at gmail dot com>, "'Gianluca Bosco'" <g dot bosco at bitache dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] complete traffic shaping for azureus/BT
 Date:  Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:05:35 -0800
The "Set Bittorrent traffic to the lowest priority" checkbox just creates a
set of default rules to shape the standard ports (6881-6999\etc). The
problem is that traffic can originate on any range of ports.

One thing that I have tried, which seems to be working OK, is to set a rule
below all other high-pri rules to put any TCP traffic coming in or out
through ports 1000-5000 as low pri (m_Hated Download).

Another aspect of shaping that I'm curious about is the NIC to which you
bind the rule. If you are making a rule that shapes outgoing traffic,
shouldn't it bind to the LAN, not the WAN? Outgoing traffic that binds to
the WAN will have already gone through NAT, thus changing its outgoing port.
However if you bind the rule to the LAN, where the traffic has not yet been
NAT'd, you have a better chance of specifying a relevant port range. Is this
correct thinking or am I off? (The autoshaping wizard binds everything to
the WAN.)

/Mas