[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  w dot plein at gmail dot com
 To:  Thomas Jegen <thomas dot jegen at jegen dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] boot error with Monowal on WRAP
 Date:  Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:20:49 -0800
At 01:09 PM 12/22/2005, Thomas Jegen wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am using the following command in Linux (as described in the manual):
>
>tomux10:/mnt/svjegen01/data01/software/Monowall # gunzip -c wrap-1.2.img |
>dd of=/dev/sda1 bs=16k
>
>gunzip: wrap-1.2.img: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
>384+0 records in
>384+0 records out
>tomux10:/mnt/svjegen01/data01/software/Monowall #

I haven't used Linux to write a WRAP image before, so I can't tell you if
"trailing garbage ignored" is OK or a sign of problems!

>The geometry reported by warp is the following:
>
>Phys C/H/S 978/4/32 Log C/H/S 978/4/32
>
>What does this mean?

That's what WRAP thinks about the physical layout of the "disk". 978
Cylinders, 4 heads, 32 sectors per.  What does Linux report during boot? If
it shows a different layout, you need to trick the PC into using it with
the 978/4/32 layout. That's usually done through your BIOS, not sure if
Linux allows you to mess with it in user space.

w dot plein at gmail dot com