[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  George Bourozikas <george at bourozikas dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OT: Merry Christmas
 Date:  Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:20:18 -0500
On Wednesday 21 December 2005 11:31, Don Munyak wrote:
> I don't know if the rest of the world has heard of all the crap and
> politically correct bullsh!t going on over here in the states, over
> simply saying Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays. It's a real shame.
>
> Anyway..to the developers and supporters of a really awesome product
> !
>
> Merry Christmas and Thank You !!!
>
> I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday. Give your computers
> a rest and spend some quality time with your families.
>
> Also..Happy Hanukah, Happy Kwanzaa, and of course Happy Holidays :)
>

> ~ Don Munyak

Actually this is largely a myth.  (There is a great piece by Hendrik
Herzberg in this week's New Yorker debunking it.)  It turns out that
74% of the US population is christian (nominally or substantively) but
84% celebrate Christmas anyway.  I am one of them; I am greek orthodox
for the rituals and the spirituality of it but I abhor the church and
its practices.

Here in NYC things can be confusing, to say the least, even without a
transit strike.  A jewish neighbor told me that he grew up with
Christmas trees at home every year.  As for us, we have invited friends
to a Christmas Eve dinner - 50% christian, 50% other/agnostic/atheist,
etc.

What _is_ happening is a ban on religious symbolism in public spaces,
like schools.  This can be a good thing when such symbolism is shoved
down people's throats.  It can also be a problem because everything
becomes bland and counter-celebratory in order to achieve maximum
tactfulness.

So Merry Christmas to all!  Happy New Year!
(Oh, wait... whose New Year?)

--george