[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jetpress dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Fwd: m0n0 as Access Point?
 Date:  Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:34:45 +0000
Don Munyak wrote:
> Wireless capability was taken out of the current stable release. Look
> at the image release notes for later versions. I think 1.2b3 thru
> 1.2b8 support wireless.

This isn't quite correct. The current m0n0wall images only support a
small number of 802.11b PCI cards, Prism 2.5 chipset to get HostAP
support which is desirable. Some of the v1.2 beta images were based on
FreeBSD 5 which supported some 802.11g cards.

In general you are probably better using a dedicated hardware wireless
AP. However there are some circumstances where it would make sense to at
least explore the feasability of using m0n0wall as an AP as long as you
can live withn the slower throughput of 802.11b.

We have been looking for a cost effective commercial AP for use outside.
They just don't exist. The cheapest we have found is a d-link model at

the outdoor enclosure. We are just waiting for our supplier to restock
on Prism 2.5 chipset miniPCI cards.