[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Fwd: m0n0 as Access Point?
 Date:  Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:13:24 -0500
On 12/22/05, David Cook <david dot cook at jetpress dot com> wrote:

> This isn't quite correct. The current m0n0wall images only support a
> small number of 802.11b PCI cards, Prism 2.5 chipset to get HostAP
> support which is desirable.

correct.

> Some of the v1.2 beta images were based on
> FreeBSD 5 which supported some 802.11g cards.

but not very well.

> In general you are probably better using a dedicated hardware wireless
> AP. However there are some circumstances where it would make sense to at
> least explore the feasability of using m0n0wall as an AP as long as you
> can live withn the slower throughput of 802.11b.

Under almost all circumstances, I'd disagree with that.  Almost every
wireless card I've tried that's less than a couple years old will not
associate with FreeBSD 4.x's hostap (and hence m0n0wall).

Also see http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-ap.html

> We are just waiting for our supplier to restock
> on Prism 2.5 chipset miniPCI cards.

For the reasons I state in the above linked FAQ, I'd carefully
reconsider that.

-Chris