[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  David Cook <david dot cook at jetpress dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Fwd: m0n0 as Access Point?
 Date:  Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:01:28 -1000
On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:08 PM, David Cook wrote:

> Chris Buechler wrote:
>> Under almost all circumstances, I'd disagree with that.  Almost every
>> wireless card I've tried that's less than a couple years old will not
>> associate with FreeBSD 4.x's hostap (and hence m0n0wall).
>> Also see http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-ap.html
>
> Thanks for that Chris.
>
> We have a Prism 2.5 card on backorder, so we will give that a go on
> one of the Soekris net4501s we have in stock for educational purposes.
>
> However it looks like we might be back to our original plan of
> ruggedising the guts of a commercial access point. Our current
> favourite is the Netgear WG302 as it supports 802.3af POE.
> Unfortunately the mainboard is quite large.

I've been down this path again and again since 2000, and you're in
for a whole world of hurt that way, too.

The wireless support in the 5.0-based m0n0wall releases is actually
quite good.   (Its what we ship, and our customers have very few
problems.)

The FreeBSD 6 (or -current) atheros driver is about as good as it
gets (*) in the 802.11 world.  (It needs WDS, but thats about it.)
This is why our path is to continue on the WRAP boards with pfSense
or possibly the 6.0 m0n0wall variant, rather than explore yet another
commodity board that will have its own set of issues, and be subject
to near instant EOL status.

Jim

(*) You'll be surprised where it starts to show up.