[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  David Cook <david dot cook at jetpress dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Fwd: m0n0 as Access Point?
 Date:  Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:35:43 -1000
On Dec 23, 2005, at 1:29 AM, David Cook wrote:

> Jim Thompson wrote:
>
>> I've been down this path again and again since 2000, and you're
>> in  for a whole world of hurt that way, too.
>
> Jim, can you elaborate? Is your poor experience with trying to
> ruggedise a commercial AP or with the FreeBSD4 wireless support in
> m0n0wall?

the freebsd4 wireless support sucks, but thats not what I was saying
in the previous message.

I've got over 6 years of experience with linux (and freebsd) on
802.11.  I started with my own designs (mpc860T / 855T, then
mpc8245/8241, then xscale and various MIPS parts).   I've played the
game with other people's wlan boards, and my advice is "don't".

>> The FreeBSD 6 (or -current) atheros driver is about as good as it
>> gets (*) in the 802.11 world.  (It needs WDS, but thats about
>> it.)   This is why our path is to continue on the WRAP boards with
>> pfSense  or possibly the 6.0 m0n0wall variant, rather than explore
>> yet another  commodity board that will have its own set of issues,
>> and be subject  to near instant EOL status.
>
> Maybe for this purpose it might be worth having a look at pfSense.

I'm sure I mailed you privately about this.

jim