[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] RE: lan to wan port fowarding fails bug ??
 Date:  Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:07:47 -0600
Ryan Wagoner wrote:
> Nevermind, I missed the line on the NAT config page "It is not
> possible to access NATed services using the WAN IP address from
> within LAN (or an optional network).".
>
> So is there any way to get this functionality or a workaround for it.
> Not to be a pain, but my cheap linksys router has this functionality.
> Although I'm sick of it crashing, etc and with m0n0wall the internet
> seems to be much more responsive.

The most common solutions are to either use the substitutions on the
m0n0wall's DNS Forwarder (give the m0n0wall the internal IP's for the
FQDN) or use a local DNS that gives out the internal IP for the FQDN.
The choice depends on how you are using DNS on your internal network. If
you use the m0n0wall for your local DNS or if you use the m0n0wall as a
forwarder for your local DNS (Bind or other) - you can use the
substitutions on the m0n0wall. If you ignore the m0n0wall DNS completely
- you will have to create a stub zone for the domain you substitute the
internal IPs for.

James W. McKeand