[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Hank Wright" <hank at nworks dot com>
 To:  "'Ryan'" <dreadlocks at gmail dot com>, <Administrator>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] VMware m0n0wall Image
 Date:  Mon, 26 Dec 2005 22:44:08 -0800
Ryan,

Yes, I was working from the image that Chris created. I have been trying to get the image over to
ESX for the past couple of hours,
but no one seems to have laid out all of the steps. Now I am stuck. Here is what I did.

First I had to convert the workstation file from IDE to SCSI

1. Used vmware-vdiskmanager on workstation to convert the image into an allocated disk file
	Vmware-vdiskmanager -r Freebsd.vmdk -t2 m0n0wall.vmdk
   This creates two files:
	m0n0wall-flat.vmdk
	m0n0wall.vmdk
2. Used vmware-vdiskmanager on workstation to create a dd entry for to add to m0n0wall.vmdk
	vmware-vdiskmanager -c -s 262144 -a buslogic -t 1 scsi.vmdk
3. Took the following lines from scsi.vmdk and replace the c/h/s entries in m0n0wall.vmdk
	ddb.geometry.cylinders = "123"
	ddb.geometry.heads = "64"
	ddb.geometry.sectors = "32"

4. ftped the files over to the ESX Server

On the ESX Server

1. Used vmkfstools to convert the hard disk file from workstation/GSX to ESX
	vmksftools -i m0n0wall.vmdk vmhba1:0:3:1:m0n0wall-Cdrive.vmdk
    Note that vmkfstools throws a warning that says: Disk geometry mismatch. To power on the
    	virtual machine you should specify scsi<adapter-id>:<target-id>.biosGeometry="123/64/32"
	in the configuration file
2. Edited the freebsd.vmx file by adding:
	scsi0.present = "TRUE"
	scsi0.VirtualDev = "buslogic"
	scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
	scsi0:0.name = "MSA01LD03:m0n0wall-Cdrive.vmdk"
	scsi0:0.biosGeometry="123/64/32"
3. Saved the file as m0n0wall.vmx
4. Created a freebsd VM with configuration file called m0n0wall-new.vmx
5. Deleted m0n0wall-new.vmx
6. Renamed m0n0wall.vmx to m0n0wall-new.vmx

The good news is that ESX sees the vmdk file as a valid SCSI file with all of the valid information,
but when I try to connect to
the VM to start it, I get the following error:

There was an error connecting to the specified virtual machine. Unexpected response from
vmware-authd: The process exited with an
error:
vmxvmdb: Index name being generated from config file
End of error message
Cannot connect to the remote virtual machine
"root/vmware/freebsd/m0n0wall-new.vmx" on "esx02" at port 902 as user "root".

And I thought that this was going to be easy...

Hank