[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Stefan Fuhrmann <stefan at fuhrmann dot homedns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IP-aliasing
 Date:  Tue, 27 Dec 2005 08:39:44 +0100
Am Montag, 26. Dezember 2005 07:18 schrieb Chris Buechler:
> On 12/24/05, Stefan Fuhrmann <stefan at fuhrmann dot homedns dot org> wrote:
> > okay, I raed this before. But it is the same thing:
> > I can only add only one address to the opt interface.
> > When I have multiple subnets then I have no way to route them.
>
> Yeah, you should never have multiple IP subnets on the same broadcast
> domain.  Use VLAN's, or multiple interfaces.  Putting two IP subnets
> on the same broadcast domain is pointless, and bad network design.

No, its not! Image you have a bigger net assume /17 -net. You want to make
some subnets. How you want to do this?
You have infrastructure devices which are only accessible over private
addresses so you have to set IP's.
Thats not pointless, its necessary for a good design. Why do you mean you can
do IP- aliasing on professionell devices like a cisco router?

Its absolutly necessary for good and proffessional designs!

stefan