[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Stefan Fuhrmann <stefan at fuhrmann dot homedns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IP-aliasing
 Date:  Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:51:21 +0100
Am Dienstag, 27. Dezember 2005 08:58 schrieb Vitaly V. Bocharov:

> >>Yeah, you should never have multiple IP subnets on the same broadcast
> >>domain.  Use VLAN's, or multiple interfaces.  Putting two IP subnets
> >>on the same broadcast domain is pointless, and bad network design.
> >
> > No, its not! Image you have a bigger net assume /17 -net. You want to
> > make some subnets. How you want to do this?
> > You have infrastructure devices which are only accessible over private
> > addresses so you have to set IP's.
> > Thats not pointless, its necessary for a good design. Why do you mean you
> > can do IP- aliasing on professionell devices like a cisco router?
>
> Sorry, but as far as i know, Cisco does not recommend to use aliases
> like the "ip address ... secondary" and aliases will be deprecated soon.
> Instead of aliases Cisco recommends to use VLANs.

okay, VLANs are nice but I dont have everywhere a VLAN, and you can not assume
that everybody has VLANs. And for my dependencies there is a need for IP-
aliasing.
And I can not see why this should be bad?!
When you have further information, please, explain me why aliasing is not a
good idea. I'm always ready to learn, who not.

tia
stefan