[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Daniele Guazzoni <daniele dot guazzoni at gczrhcob01 dot gcomm dot ch>
 To:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VMware m0n0wall Image
 Date:  Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:28:33 +0100
Hank

I've got so far really bad experiences trying to convert IDE images to SCSI.
VMware put a sort of fingerprint in the vmdk file to identify the controller and
the geometry.
The best thing would be to do a m0n0wall build using SCSI.
This would allow to use the VM on all VMware products (Player, WS, GSX and ESX).

My 2 cents

Daniele

Hank Wright wrote:
> Ryan,
>
> Yes, I was working from the image that Chris created. I have been trying to get the image over to
ESX for the past couple of hours,
> but no one seems to have laid out all of the steps. Now I am stuck. Here is what I did.
>
> First I had to convert the workstation file from IDE to SCSI
>
> 1. Used vmware-vdiskmanager on workstation to convert the image into an allocated disk file
> 	Vmware-vdiskmanager -r Freebsd.vmdk -t2 m0n0wall.vmdk
>    This creates two files:
> 	m0n0wall-flat.vmdk
> 	m0n0wall.vmdk
> 2. Used vmware-vdiskmanager on workstation to create a dd entry for to add to m0n0wall.vmdk
> 	vmware-vdiskmanager -c -s 262144 -a buslogic -t 1 scsi.vmdk
> 3. Took the following lines from scsi.vmdk and replace the c/h/s entries in m0n0wall.vmdk
> 	ddb.geometry.cylinders = "123"
> 	ddb.geometry.heads = "64"
> 	ddb.geometry.sectors = "32"
>
> 4. ftped the files over to the ESX Server
>
> On the ESX Server
>
> 1. Used vmkfstools to convert the hard disk file from workstation/GSX to ESX
> 	vmksftools -i m0n0wall.vmdk vmhba1:0:3:1:m0n0wall-Cdrive.vmdk
>     Note that vmkfstools throws a warning that says: Disk geometry mismatch. To power on the
>     	virtual machine you should specify scsi<adapter-id>:<target-id>.biosGeometry="123/64/32"
> 	in the configuration file
> 2. Edited the freebsd.vmx file by adding:
> 	scsi0.present = "TRUE"
> 	scsi0.VirtualDev = "buslogic"
> 	scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
> 	scsi0:0.name = "MSA01LD03:m0n0wall-Cdrive.vmdk"
> 	scsi0:0.biosGeometry="123/64/32"
> 3. Saved the file as m0n0wall.vmx
> 4. Created a freebsd VM with configuration file called m0n0wall-new.vmx
> 5. Deleted m0n0wall-new.vmx
> 6. Renamed m0n0wall.vmx to m0n0wall-new.vmx
>
> The good news is that ESX sees the vmdk file as a valid SCSI file with all of the valid
information, but when I try to connect to
> the VM to start it, I get the following error:
>
> There was an error connecting to the specified virtual machine. Unexpected response from
vmware-authd: The process exited with an

believed to be clean.