[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ryan <dreadlocks at gmail dot com>
 To:  Daniele Guazzoni <daniele dot guazzoni at gczrhcob01 dot gcomm dot ch>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, cbuechler at gmail dot com
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VMware m0n0wall Image
 Date:  Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:41:20 -0600
I see whats going on now.. I didnt realize GSX needed scsi.. maby
chris can update his image, he didnt document on how he created it so
I have no advice on how to get this done.. I tried it on my own before
I found the vmware images and had little luck installing m0n0ware

On 12/27/05, Daniele Guazzoni <daniele dot guazzoni at gczrhcob01 dot gcomm dot ch> wrote:
> Hank
>
> I've got so far really bad experiences trying to convert IDE images to SCSI.
> VMware put a sort of fingerprint in the vmdk file to identify the controller and
> the geometry.
> The best thing would be to do a m0n0wall build using SCSI.
> This would allow to use the VM on all VMware products (Player, WS, GSX and ESX).
>

> My 2 cents
>

> Daniele
>

> Hank Wright wrote:
> > Ryan,
> >
> > Yes, I was working from the image that Chris created. I have been trying to get the image over
to ESX for the past couple of hours,
> > but no one seems to have laid out all of the steps. Now I am stuck. Here is what I did.
> >
> > First I had to convert the workstation file from IDE to SCSI
> >
> > 1. Used vmware-vdiskmanager on workstation to convert the image into an allocated disk file
> >       Vmware-vdiskmanager -r Freebsd.vmdk -t2 m0n0wall.vmdk
> >    This creates two files:
> >       m0n0wall-flat.vmdk
> >       m0n0wall.vmdk
> > 2. Used vmware-vdiskmanager on workstation to create a dd entry for to add to m0n0wall.vmdk
> >       vmware-vdiskmanager -c -s 262144 -a buslogic -t 1 scsi.vmdk
> > 3. Took the following lines from scsi.vmdk and replace the c/h/s entries in m0n0wall.vmdk
> >       ddb.geometry.cylinders = "123"
> >       ddb.geometry.heads = "64"
> >       ddb.geometry.sectors = "32"
> >
> > 4. ftped the files over to the ESX Server
> >
> > On the ESX Server
> >
> > 1. Used vmkfstools to convert the hard disk file from workstation/GSX to ESX
> >       vmksftools -i m0n0wall.vmdk vmhba1:0:3:1:m0n0wall-Cdrive.vmdk
> >     Note that vmkfstools throws a warning that says: Disk geometry mismatch. To power on the
> >       virtual machine you should specify scsi<adapter-id>:<target-id>.biosGeometry="123/64/32"
> >       in the configuration file
> > 2. Edited the freebsd.vmx file by adding:
> >       scsi0.present = "TRUE"
> >       scsi0.VirtualDev = "buslogic"
> >       scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
> >       scsi0:0.name = "MSA01LD03:m0n0wall-Cdrive.vmdk"
> >       scsi0:0.biosGeometry="123/64/32"
> > 3. Saved the file as m0n0wall.vmx
> > 4. Created a freebsd VM with configuration file called m0n0wall-new.vmx
> > 5. Deleted m0n0wall-new.vmx
> > 6. Renamed m0n0wall.vmx to m0n0wall-new.vmx
> >
> > The good news is that ESX sees the vmdk file as a valid SCSI file with all of the valid
information, but when I try to connect to
> > the VM to start it, I get the following error:
> >
> > There was an error connecting to the specified virtual machine. Unexpected response from
vmware-authd: The process exited with an