[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] changing LAN subnet
 Date:  Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:10:34 -0600
Nick Smith wrote:
> ive been experimenting with a PPTP setup with m0n0wall, but im finding
> that alot of people use the .0.1 ip address ranges, so i would like to
> change mine to be .2.1 or something similar so i can actually connect
> and test out the VPN, i can connect, but no data gets passed.  (yes i
> read this http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/pptp-notes.html ) which is why i
> want to change my network subnet.
>
> my question/problem is, that i already have a bunch of rules setup for
> various ip's/services and i also assign ip's based on MAC addresses.
> would i have to manually edit every rule and every static ip address
> to the new .2.1 scema? or would m0n0wall pick up on the fact that i
> have changed it and automaticly do it for me since the addresses would
> no longer be valid?
>
> i have a gut feeling that it wont be that simple but im hoping for

You are correct, you will need to manually edit every rule. I assume you
are talking about changing your whole IP schema... every PC, Servers,
etc.

To make this simpler in the future use the "Aliases". These are
shortcuts you can use when defining firewall and NAT rules (any blue
field can be filled with an Alias). Aliases can be Hosts or Networks
(i.e. subnets). If you need to change the IP of a host, you just have to
edit the appropriate Alias. Go to one screen change all the Aliases, you
are done (you don't have to touch the rules...)

James W. McKeand