[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  M0n0Wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Interface vs Source vs Destination
 Date:  Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:06:52 -0500
On 12/30/05, Ed Chatlos <edchat at bellsouth dot net> wrote:
> In my option the tabs you select, WAN/LAN/Opti, should read WAN-to-LAN,
> WAN-to-Opti, LAN-to-WAN, Opti-to-WAN, Opti-to-LAN and LAN-to-Opti which
> would make the direction the rule is to apply to a little more descriptive.

It's not WAN to LAN/WAN to OPT, etc. though.  The WAN rules are WAN to
any, LAN rules are LAN to any, etc.

You need interfaces there because certain sources and destinations are
only desired within the context of a given interface.

> because its the 'get used to using m0n0' that i am having the hurdle with

more accurately, getting used to any serious multiple interface
firewall.  This is how they all work, if they allow any sort of real
flexibility.

If you explain what you're trying to accomplish, maybe an appropriate
example rule set would be more helpful in grasping what's going on.

-Chris