[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  monowall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Robust enough for heavy duty?
 Date:  Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:46:10 -0500
On 12/30/05, tech at adaptive dot net <tech at adaptive dot net> wrote:
> Thanks for your guidance,  my only concern with the original request, is
> that that 12 mbps is coming from some 20,000 email users and 4,000 web
> sites, so it not necessarily big chunks of datam, but perhaps a lots of
> small chunks, which may eat up the 30,000 states is what i fear.

unless you have some facility on your current firewall where you can
tell how many states you're using, it's hard to tell.  If out of
20,000 email users, they all have their mail client setup to hit their
POP/IMAP every minute, it should be spaced out enough, and the states
short lived enough, that it probably won't be an issue.  20,000 mail
users likely only maintain a max of 1K states at any given time.
They're short lived - maybe 2-5 seconds - so even having 1 out of 20
users with a state at a given time could be far more than it really
is.

Web sites vary so much that it's difficult to say how much 4,000 of
them will use.  Unless there are a number of very high traffic sites
amongst those, I seriously doubt if you would exceed an average of one
state per website, so 4,000 there maybe.

that's only 5,000 states, and I couldn't imagine it being more than 6
times that much unless something was really wrong.  Even a
Slashdotting won't get you anywhere near 30K states for a web server
(speaking from experience).

-Chris