[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] adding an access point to dmz
 Date:  Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:54:20 -0500
On 12/30/05, Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Alan,
>
> I know your trying to be a nice guy and all, but by intentionally
> allowing your neighbor to use your bandwidth, are you also accepting
> any liability as the firewall maintainer. I mean, if he/she gets
> hacked....do you think they will get pissed at you and/or try to hold
> you accountable for any compromised system ???

yeah, you do have to be careful with who you share your Internet
access with.  I let my neighbor hook into my wireless, and he mows my
yard for free in exchange (nice deal for me :)  I was paying
$600/year).  But I know them, and know they don't do things that might
get me in trouble.  And if anything would happen to their machine
(it'd have to be spyware or something they pulled in, as I don't allow
anything inbound to them), I know they'd just ask me to fix it, not
throw a fit about it.

Probably the biggest risk today is them using file sharing software of
some type, and you getting a letter from the RIAA/MPAA lawyers (or
insert equivalent for your country).  Technically you're likely
responsible for anything they do, so you could get stuck paying a few
thousand $ because they wanted to download the latest brittany spears
or some crap.  :)  IANAL though

you know you're a geek when you're at a new year's party drinking with
your laptop, off from everybody else.  :)  guess I should be sociable.
 enough m0n0wall for one night, well for the year for that matter.

happy new years everybody

cheers!
-Chris