[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Stephen Ronan <listsubs0506 at comcast dot net>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.21 released
 Date:  Sun, 01 Jan 2006 10:39:29 -0500
Terrific. Thanks. I turned on the 1.2 captive portal yesterday at 5:30
am and it worked fine until about 3 pm but then stopped working (timed
out clients got error messages rather than being directed to the portal
page even after I rebooted), and I had to turn it off. I had retained
this line in the portal page:   <input name="redirurl" type="hidden"
value="$PORTAL_REDIRURL$">
I'm hopeful that I can turn the captive portal back on after upgrading.

I see this in the changelog

"new feature: the number of connections per client IP address can now be
limited to prevent one misbehaved user from tying up the server. The
default limit for the captive portal is now 4 connections per client,
and 16 in total (can be adjusted on captive portal setup page)"

I'm afraid (as a relative newbie) I don't understand just what
constitutes a connection in this context and in particular under what
circumstances it may be advisable to adjust the total default number of
16 connections. When does a user's captive portal connection start and
end? Should the connection number be adjusted to be greater than the
total number of expected concurrently logged in users?

Best wishes,
Steve