[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Stephen Ronan <listsubs0506 at comcast dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.21 released
 Date:  Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:54:29 +0100
On 01.01.06 10:39 -0500, Stephen Ronan wrote:

> I'm afraid (as a relative newbie) I don't understand just what
> constitutes a connection in this context and in particular under
> what circumstances it may be advisable to adjust the total default
> number of 16 connections. When does a user's captive portal
> connection start and end? Should the connection number be adjusted
> to be greater than the total number of expected concurrently logged
> in users?

Users will only be connected to the captive portal's mini_httpd
process while loading the portal page, while sending their login
credentials, or while logging out. As such, these will be only very
short periods of time, and the default of 16 connections max. should
work for much more than 16 concurrent users, since they most likely
don't all log in at the exact same time.

However, if you have many unauthenticated clients on your captive
portal network that keep doing HTTP requests without ever
authenticating (happens with Windows Auto Update client, for
example), you may have to increase the maximum (make sure you've got
enough RAM in your m0n0wall box then).

- Manuel