[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] strange firewall log entry
 Date:  Sun, 1 Jan 2006 21:13:45 -0500
On 1/1/06, Peter Teunissen <lists at onemanifest dot net> wrote:

> I've allowed, for now, all traffic on the LAN interface:
> - I can reach my IMAP server on the DMZ just fine throught port 143.
> But in the log I find entries stating that traffic from my laptop to
> the DMZ IMAP server has been blocked. It only seems to happen when
> using Apple's Mail.app, wich is rather slow at opening IMAP mailboxes
> for some reason. Thunderbird has no delay and doesn't cause these log
> entries.
> - I can reach the internet but still I find an entry that access to
> port 80 has been blocked to a RSS feed.

because of this: http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-legit-traffic-dropped.html

some who know ipfilter (the firewalling software used in m0n0wall)
internals far more than I do say in addition to that, there are some
bugs in ipfilter that cause state table entries to get prematurely
closed.  Apple's Mail might do something to trigger this (or it might
be an issue with Mail, it's hard to say).

Regardless, it doesn't cause any problems and that's why it happens,
so I wouldn't be concerned about it.

-Chris