[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 4 port nics work with m0n0wall?
 Date:  Mon, 2 Jan 2006 19:29:15 -0500
On 1/2/06, PlanAlpha <plan dot alpha at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I've been looking for a cheap 4 port nic that works natively with
> m0n0wall. I've found these:
> http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/54/products_id/425

looks like a reseller of Soekris lan1641 cards.  They're $89 direct
from Soekris.
http://soekris.com/how_to_buy.htm

> http://routerboard.com/rb44.html

that chipset is supported, but I can't say that I know of anybody
using one.  Should work, but I don't recall hearing about anybody
using one.  I know there are numerous people using the Soekris lan1641
successfully.

Don't expect outstanding performance out of a 32 bit PCI quad NIC card
though.  It won't be bad, but not great either.  Depends on what
you're putting it in, but I wouldn't expect to get much more than a
combined 200-300 Mb through the 4 ports.  Probably more than you need
since you're looking at 100 Mb rather than gig.  If you need
substantial throughput on a quad port card, you'll want an Intel PCI-X
quad gigabit port card, but then you're looking at $400+ (and need a
PCI-X slot).

-Chris