[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  William Arlofski <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  Jens Jensen <jens at valenceartist dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] selling monowall cds on ebay
 Date:  Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:31:22 -0500
Jens Jensen wrote:
> I know that it's not illegal or unscrupulous to download a GPL iso, burn
> it to cd/dvd, while only selling the media, burning service and charging
> a reasonable amount. I do, however, question somebody who sells some
> GPL(or similar FOSS) software on ebay who does not openly state that: 1.
> this software is not his own product - he is just selling a cd/dvd
> burning service, etc, and 2. this software is freely available by
> internet download (and be nice enough to mention where)
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7190686063&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1
>
> What are others thoughts on this?

I tend to agree with your line of thinking, but I would like to add the
following cynical viewpoint of my own:

I feel that if someone does not even know enough about the product
he/she is selling, then they don't deserve to have customers purchasing
said product from them.

eg: from the link you posted -

Listed in category:	Computers & Networking > Software > Operating
Systems > Linux

Ummm, last I checked m0n0wall was FreeBSD, and last I checked
FreeBSD != Linux.

Sigh

But then again, if someone BUYS a "product" on eBay without so much as a
quick Google search to locate the homepage of said product, then they
also get what they deserve.

My $0.02

Happy New Year everyone!
--