[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Stephen McCormick" <sdmcc at ihug dot co dot nz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Monowall 1.21 Captive portal and WRT54G wireless router MAC Problem
 Date:  Tue, 3 Jan 2006 22:13:41 +1300
Hi all,

Just upgraded to 1.21 and was testing out the new captive portal
functionality.

Pre 1.21, I have had no problems with wirelessly connecting through the
WRT54G to a dedicated optional interface on Mono running captive portal.
Mono would pick up the right MAC address and apply the appropriate rule
(whether it was a MAC  that was allowed to passthrough or one that was
processed by the portal)

However, after upgrading to 1.21 the captive portal is ignoring the client
MAC address and now only picks up the WRT54G MAC address. (This is seen in
the recent activity log.)

Regardless of whether the client Mac is in the Passthrough list or not, the
client will now always be directed to the portal page but the "accept"
process fails. I am not using any user/passwords or radius, just a simple
accept button that allows anybody though.

I downgraded back to 1.2 and the previous (correct) functionality has been
restored.

Mono is supplying DHCP on the wireless interface and hands out the
appropriate IP address for the client MAC addy. I have some static DHCP
leases setup, so Mono's DHCP sees the correct Mac but the Captive Portal
does not??

The WRT is connected to Mono through a LAN port (not through the WAN port)

I have not encountered any of the issues previously raised regarding the
WRT54G and captive portal until now.

Thanks for the great software

SteveM