[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OPT interfaces, change ip bug?
 Date:  Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:36:21 -0500
On 1/3/06, Oivind <oivindg at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I have a 1.21 m0n0wall box with a quad interface pci card.
>
> I.e. I assign 10.0.10.1/24 to OPT1. Now, if I reassign to 10.0.20.2
> without touching mask, it is set to /8 though the gui displays /24
> before i click save.

Yeah, it automatically assigns the CIDR based on the address class.
If you don't tab or click outside the IP address box before clicking
the Save button, you end up with a mask you didn't intend to have.

In pfsense, I'm pushing for removing that behavior entirely, and
defaulting to /24 for everything.  Would make sense, IMO, to do the
same here.  Practically nobody should want a 10. network to be a /8,
and /24 is a much more sensible default.

-Chris