[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Another quick question... What is the difference... ?
 Date:  Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:23:36 -0500
On 1/3/06, Chuck Mariotti <cmariotti at xunity dot com> wrote:
> I am trying to get my head around this...
>
> What is the difference between making entries on the NAT Inbound page
> and the Firewall Rules Page?

NAT and firewall rules are two very different things.  If you have
private IP's on your LAN side, you can't open up anything to the
Internet without some sort of NAT involved (inbound, 1:1).

NAT creates the translation that allows that to happen.

Without firewall rules allowing traffic to traverse that NAT
configuration, it won't do anything.

NAT lets you setup...well...NAT.  Firewall rules define how that NAT
configuration can or can't be used.

> I just tried to open port 80, but it didn't work. Then I realized, I
> opened it using the Firewall Rules Page... So I went to the NAT page,
> made the "same" (in my mind at least) entry and it started working...
> Deleted the port on the Rules page and it is still working... I'm
> confused.

Either you didn't delete some other rule that's still allowing this
traffic, or you were using an existing state in the state table from
when that allow rule was in place.

-Chris