[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ryan <dreadlocks at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] selling monowall cds on ebay
 Date:  Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:40:58 -0600
my $0.02 on the subject.. (ended up being $1.02, oah well)
First of all what he is doing is completely legal and there is nothing
wrong with it.. Its the poor bastard who pays $3 for a 6MB iso who has
something wrong in the head.. not the seller here.

Second I would like to point out that there is no FreeBSD category in
ebay.. He could have listed it under "Other" with the other 150 odd
auctions.. but he would have got zero traffic from people browsing
that category.. Threre are 700 some odd auctions under Linux, meaning
its more likely someone will be browsing that category.

Third, he is obviously targeting people who dont know better.. proably
people intrested in linux who live far enough from civilization that
buying disks for cheap is an attractive offer.. I was once that
person, I stole my first copy of linux out of the back of a book in
the mall (Redhat 4.x in mid 90's)

Now this same demography of wana-be nerds proably never head of
FreeBSD, if you called it freebsd when someone is searching for linux
they would never even get his auction up in the results.

This is all presuming the person selling it knows the diffrence
between FreeBSD and Linux and did this intentionally to accualy try to
sell something no one should be buying anywase. Or the most likely
option is that this guy sells alot of cd's on ebay and dosent know any
better him self and he thinks it is linux.

My final thought on this is, well hell.. at least its not listed under
"Windows" right? I think you are all making too big of a deal about
this, People sell pirated software on ebay all day and night and here
is a big rant on someone selling GPL software.. what has the world
came to?