[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Olive <chris at technologEase dot com>
 To:  Ryan <dreadlocks at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] selling monowall cds on ebay
 Date:  Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:06:12 -0500
Ryan wrote:

>My final thought on this is, well hell.. at least its not listed under
>"Windows" right? I think you are all making too big of a deal about
>this, People sell pirated software on ebay all day and night and here
>is a big rant on someone selling GPL software.. what has the world
>came to?

I for one would like to see this "rant" disappear too because there
truly is nothing wrong with it and it really is too bad if a consumer
can't do his homework on Google and look this stuff up; serves 'em
right.  But since you ask this last question, I'll venture to interject
that...

People could care less if Bill Gate's gets shafted for a couple million
dollars.  He's got more money than 30 people know what to do with.
Whereas a lot of people appreciate what Manuel has done with m0n0wall,
mostly for free (and some donations), and so it strikes them with a bit
more indignation that someone would seemingly try to gain from his
work.  And if they really were, that person would indeed be a scum bag.
(But they aren't really.  If you've ever done any selling on eBay, I
assure you selling something for 99 cents is DEFINITELY not worth the
time.  The guy is taking himself for a ride and needs to learn what a
"business model" is...  But I digress.)

Doesn't mean stealing from Bill Gates is right either, but I'd venture
to guess this explains more or less what the fuss is all about.  People
are proud of what he's done, protective, and feel anyone else that
benefits from it is a real dirtbag.

chris