[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kurt_Inge_Sm=E5dal?= <kurt at emsp dot no>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  m0n0wall hang during boot with two quad cards.
 Date:  Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:38:19 +0100
Hi all.

We have bought a few VIA EPIA PD mainboards with two integrated network interfaces. In addition we
have two routerboard 44 quad cards in a PCI riser slot. So we get a total of 10 network interfaces.

But we seem to have a problem with this. The first time the m0n0wall boot everything looks OK and as
long as we don't activate or assign any of the network cards on the quad cards the m0n0wall boots
fine.
But as soon as we start assigning the quad cards and boot the m0n0wall it hangs during "Configuring
WAN interface" or "Configuring OPT1 interface" in boot.

If we try to pull out one of the quad cards, everything works ok even if we assign all the six (4+2)
network interfaces.

We have tried to disable everything we don't need on the EPIA motherboard: COM-ports, LPT-port, USB,
etc, since we suspect it to be some IRQ conflict, but it still won't work with both the quad cards
installed.

As a last thing we tried to install PFSense, and this seem to be working fine. But we don't want to
use this in a large production systems since it's still in beta.

I figure there might be something in freebsd 6 that handles IRQ conflicts better than fbsd 4.x?

PS: We have a m0n0wall-server running with one integrated card and as much as three quad Intel
PCI-64bit cards giving a total of 10 interfaces running just fine with version 1.1.

So have any of you had this problem and maybe got any solution, or maybe have an idea of how we
could solve this problem?

--
Best regards,

 Systems engineer