[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Carsten Holbach <Carsten dot Holbach at gmx dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Surfstation as m0n0wall-router
 Date:  Wed, 04 Jan 2006 16:59:27 +0100
Hello everybody

I have found a neat small casing with hardware at eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Sonderpreis-MINI-PC-Gehaeuse-inkl-Cyrix-Media-Prozessor_W0QQitemZ8743918695QQcategoryZ96490QQcmdZViewItem

It has a Cyrix Media processor, 64 MB RAM. 32 MB Disc-On-Chip module and
the ability to install a PCI/ISA riser card (details here:
http://www.dabo.de/surfstation/wiki/wikidata/Technische%20Daten.html
(german))

After some research I found out a bit more:
http://www.dabo.de/surfstation.html (german)

Originally this boxes do not have VGA, IDE and COM-Ports, which is quite
bad. All of these can be installed with a bit experience with the
soldering gun.
Other types of such surfboxes come with built-in COM and VGA-ports.

My questions are:
1) Does somebody have any experience with that type of hardware?
2) With a PIC-risercard and a dual-PCI NIC such a box should give a
quite pretty m0n0wall-box for a really little money. Or am I wrong for
any reason?

Greetings
Carsten Holbach