[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adrian Urquhart <adrian at urquhart dash consultancy dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  lists at silverblade dot co dot uk
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Will this modem work with m0n0wall?
 Date:  Wed, 4 Jan 2006 22:48:10 +0000
On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 22:08:08 -0000 (GMT)
"Andrew Greenwood" <lists at silverblade dot co dot uk> wrote:

> On Wed, January 4, 2006 9:38 pm, Adrian Urquhart said:
> > I use a D-Link DSL 300T in bridge mode with M0n0wall, which talks
> > to it via PPPoE (in the UK) so I'd say things ought to work.
>
> Ah... I've owned several bits of D-Link kit and none of them have
> lived up to their expectations. My old DSL-500 router kept crashing,
> my DES-1008D switch doesn't perform very well and doesn't like being
> connected to other switches, and I tried using D-Link equipment for a
> wireless network over a long distance and it kept messing up - other
> brands worked fine.

I must admit to having had varied results with D-Link kit. The 300T is
working fine, but lives in a relatively cold room. A wireless LAN
installed at a client is getting ripped out asap - it falls over if you
glance at it sharply.

> But if the DSL-300T works well, I'll get one. I can get hold of one
> cheap but was holding off in case something better was out there.

Solwise (http://www.solwise.co.uk) have a decent range of cheap kit -
might be worth checking them out.

-Adrian