[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sai <sonicsai at gmail dot com>
 To:  The Bard <thebard at stny dot rr dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Assistance needed setting up m0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:19:15 +0500
On 1/5/06, The Bard <thebard at stny dot rr dot com> wrote:
> Sorry to sound like a Newbie, but that's what I am. I am trying to set up
> basic rules on a test machine with the eventuality of pushing them onto a
> Soekris box. Having been jaded by the likes of Astaro, Shorewal and ipCop, I
> find creating a simple rule confusing. Must be my old age.
>
> Being a more visual learner, I was wondering if there is a simple how to with
> screen grabs I can peruse to a build a few inbound/outbound rules.
>
> I'm not looking for complex stuff mind you, just enough to begin building the
> rules so I can communicate with the outside. If I can figure out this much, I
> can build on the rest.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time.
>
> Tas
>
> -------

the default setup (ie when you turn on the machine for the first time)
 will allow you to communicate with the outside world from the LAN.
You should tighten up the rules once this is working.

The outside world will not be able to initiate any connections
(because that is the function of a firewall) so you wont be able to
play many online games or do p2p filesharing. You can change this
quite easily lets leave that for later (take a look at
http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/examples.html when you ready).

sai