[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk
 To:  Stephen McCormick <sdmcc at ihug dot co dot nz>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall 1.21 Captive portal and WRT54G wireless router MAC Problem
 Date:  Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:06:48 +0000
Hi,

> Just upgraded to 1.21 and was testing out the new captive portal
> functionality.
>
> Pre 1.21, I have had no problems with wirelessly connecting through the
> WRT54G to a dedicated optional interface on Mono running captive portal.
> Mono would pick up the right MAC address and apply the appropriate rule
> (whether it was a MAC  that was allowed to passthrough or one that was
> processed by the portal)
>
> However, after upgrading to 1.21 the captive portal is ignoring the client
> MAC address and now only picks up the WRT54G MAC address. (This is seen in
> the recent activity log.)
>
> Regardless of whether the client Mac is in the Passthrough list or not, the
> client will now always be directed to the portal page but the "accept"
> process fails. I am not using any user/passwords or radius, just a simple
> accept button that allows anybody though.
>
> I downgraded back to 1.2 and the previous (correct) functionality has been
> restored.
>
> Mono is supplying DHCP on the wireless interface and hands out the
> appropriate IP address for the client MAC addy. I have some static DHCP
> leases setup, so Mono's DHCP sees the correct Mac but the Captive Portal
> does not??
>
> The WRT is connected to Mono through a LAN port (not through the WAN port)
>
> I have not encountered any of the issues previously raised regarding the
> WRT54G and captive portal until now.

as i have the required equipment to hand - and have had sucha  config in the
past, I thought I'd give this a quick go.

I set OPT1 to be a new LAN - 172.16.1.0/24  for example, whereas the rest
of the network is 172.16.0.0/24.

what I did notice with 1.21 immediately was that although the server was handing out addresses and
the correct gateway and DNS values, the DNS wasnt responding
for that subnet.

I wonder if this is related, or if I just had a strange quirk. putting OPT1
to just be bridged onto LAN and everything was fine (of course, wireless
access point being on your main network isnt a good option for many people
- even using WPA2 ! ;-) )

Alan