[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <tech at adaptive dot net>
 To:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "monowall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Robust enough for heavy duty?
 Date:  Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:04:50 -0500
Our current sonicwall firewall mentions "3328 current connections" on the
status page.  Would that be the same as states do you believe?

Lets hope it is! then i would be only at 10% utilization of 30,000 states.
Assuming that, what would my bottleneck be in the future, assuming the
current scenario and linear growth:

- Compact Flash installation boot
- AMD Duron 1600 at 266 MHz
- 512 MB 266mhz RAM
- Intel Pro 1000 dual nic card on standard PCI bus for DMZ/WAN links
- Motherboard 100mbs NIC for LAN
- Using 1:1NAT for public IPs on DMZ side
- 25-50 servers on DMZ
- Very few things turned on in m0n0wall, simply about a dozen inbound rules

- All traffic going between DMZ/WAN at currently about 12mbs out, 4mbs in,
3000 states
assume linear growth