[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Gibson <agibson at ptm dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.21 released
 Date:  Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:13:12 -0500
Works great here too.  Thanks for the SVG update for firefox 1.5.  I can
now view the graphs in Linux(adobe svg plugin in Linux never worked for me).

And now for an odd question.  Why call it 1.21 when I think it is
technically (in my mind anyway) 1.2.1?  I would think 1.21 would make
most people that have no previous experience with m0n0wall think it is
the 21st revision of major version 1.

This limits you to 9 revisions otherwise if the 4th octet went higher
than 9...

1.210
is that 1.21.0 or 1.2.10?

I have only come across a few apps(or firewalls :) that are numbered
like that so I am very curious why people combine the 2nd and 3rd octets
in versions.  Are there some IDEs that default to that.  Do developers
just want to keep everyone on their toes?  I guess I have just been
burnt by previous apps when listed in a directory that combined the 2nd
and 3rd octets and trying to distinguish what the version number really
is.  Is it the 21st revision or the first revision of 1.2.

I am not trying to invoke a fight over what should or shouldn't be done
with the version number... Everyone has a right to version things
however they want... like I said... I am just curious what the thought
pattern is for numbering in that way.