[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Enabling SWAP
 Date:  Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:23:56 -0500
On 1/4/06, Ciro Iriarte <cyruspy at gmail dot com> wrote:

> Given the current one is a low spec pc and the freebsd IPSEC implementation
> seems to work better (considering resources) i want to replace linux with
> m0n0wall but i don't have the 64mb of required RAM and is near impossible to
> buy SIMMs this days, so i need to enable swap to avoid having lockups.

ebay.  should be able to find some for practically nothing.  Or ask
around, I'm sure some people have stacks of SIMMs laying around that
they'd give you.

> I've
> never touched FreeBSD before, but as it's unix i don't think it's
> "impossible" to enable SWAP for the soon to be m0n0wall box, anyone did it
> before?

It is impossible with m0n0wall, unless you want to do a whole lot of
hacking, because the file system isn't a normal FreeBSD hard drive
file system.  Because of the focus on embedded platforms and compact
flash, the system runs from RAM because the writes from a normal file
system (much less swap) would quickly kill a CF card.

-Chris