[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall hang during boot with two quad cards.
 Date:  Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:03:18 -0500

> But we seem to have a problem with this. The first time the m0n0wall boot everything looks OK and
as long as we don't activate or assign any of the network cards on the quad cards the m0n0wall boots
fine.
> But as soon as we start assigning the quad cards and boot the m0n0wall it hangs during
"Configuring WAN interface" or "Configuring OPT1 interface" in boot.

> If we try to pull out one of the quad cards, everything works ok even if we assign all the six
(4+2) network interfaces.

> We have tried to disable everything we don't need on the EPIA motherboard: COM-ports, LPT-port,
USB, etc, since we suspect it to be some IRQ conflict, but it still won't work with both the quad
cards installed.

You got it - IRQ conflict is most likely it.  Works with pfsense
because of the difference between FreeBSD 4.11 and 6.0.  If you
checked your dmesg on pfsense, you'd have seen higher numbered IRQ's
that aren't actually legit IRQ's historically, like up into the 20's.
I'm not sure what that's all about, but it'll never run into IRQ
conflicts in 6.x.  From some brief research, it seems to have
something to do with APIC, which isn't in FreeBSD 4.x.

-Chris