[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Issue with install on Standerd PC IDE HD
 Date:  Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:56:00 -0600
softsec wrote:
> I recently purchased an older Dell PC with a P3 1GHZ, 256 Meg Ram and
> a 20G hd, I added a second NIC card to make this my edge firewall.
>
> I have followed the instructions here
> http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/installation_generic_dsl.php
>
> Every time I have done this, the result is 384 in, 384 out, after I
> remove the DSL disk and reboot, the computer doesn't boot..
>
> Any advice?

Use Chris's Live Install disk found here:
http://www.chrisbuechler.com/index.php?id=17 This does not require
downloading anything until after you get m0n0wall installed - you will
need to upgrade the firmware to a more recent version (disk has 1.11 and
some beta 1.2s)

I believe the most common error is to specify ad not ad0 on the
following line:

    gzcat /usr/m0n0wall/generic-pc-1.11.img | dd of=/dev/ad0 bs=16k
                                                         ^^^ here

I believe ad is the disk and ad0 is the partition - I may be wrong on
this part (someone correct me...)

James W. McKeand