[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Issue with install on Standerd PC IDE HD
 Date:  Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:11:02 -0500
On 1/6/06, softsec <security at fozzil dot net> wrote:

>  after I remove
> the DSL disk and reboot, the computer doesn't boot..

what *does* it do?

On 1/6/06, James W. McKeand <james at mckeand dot biz> wrote:

> I believe the most common error is to specify ad not ad0 on the
> following line:

that or specify ad0s1 or ad0s1a or something like that.

> I believe ad is the disk and ad0 is the partition - I may be wrong on
> this part (someone correct me...)

ad indicates an IDE hard drive (not a specific device).  ad0 is the
first IDE hard drive.  ad0s1 is a slice on the first IDE hard drive.
ad0s1a is the first partition in the first slice on the first IDE hard
drive.

when writing m0n0wall, you have to overwrite the whole drive (hence ad0).

-Chris