[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jetpress dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Recommended NIC cards
 Date:  Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:47:39 +0000
Jimmy Bones (Mhottie) wrote:
> have been using with almost exclusively 3com 3C905C-TXM cards and have had
> no problems, MAC spoof on WAN and a 10mbps wan up/down stream. (light by
> some standards I see). What do you guys have against these cards??
>
> thanks.

The 3com 3C905C-TXM is our preferred PCI nic for PCs when necessary.

(including m0n0wall) tend to have the necessary drivers out of the box.

Our main office firewall is a recycled Pentium II Dell Dimension desktop
running m0n0wall from CompactFlash. Currently has four 3Com 3C905x of
differing types, no IRQ issues and natively supports VLAN tagging which
we use extensively for giving out testing and development networks
access to the internet.

Yeah we like Intel NICs as well but they are more expensive. We use
Intel exclusively as add-in NICs for servers due to their teaming
capabilities, something you aren't really going to get the benefit of
using m0n0wall.

Regards