[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron with Morad" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Routed IP Block - Uses
 Date:  Sat, 7 Jan 2006 15:48:22 -0700
>> what do I use for private IP gateway?
>>

>The IP m0n0wall has on that particular interface.  You can either use
>a private IP subnet or a public IP subnet on an interface.  If you
>want to map some of those IP's to machines currently on your private
>IP network, you don't touch their current IP configuration (assuming
>they work and can get to the Internet properly), you just configure
>1:1 NAT.

Chris, I did some playing around.  not sure if I fully understood or not.
haha

So I built a new interface, in my case it was a VLAN on OPT.  I gave it the
first IP of my /27 (.192).  Then I created a 1:1 entry for the next of the
/27 (.193).  I put a PC on that VLAN and gave it .193, using .192 as the
gateway.  Basically I have the public /27 public IPs inside the VLAN, and
they are 1:1 NATed out the WAN - same address in both spots in the 1:1
config.  Is this right?  The Internet sees the IP used in the PC.

I have been running like this overnight with no issues other than an
inability to access google (.com and .ca) so far.  I have adjusted my MTU to
1400 for the new VLAN but still can't access google - no firewall entries to
show why either.  Other than that I haven't found anything else I can't do.

Aaron