[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee B." <leeb00 at gmail dot com>
 To:  Stephen Ronan <listsubs0506 at comcast dot net>
 Cc:  Josh Hyles <josh dot maillists at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Vonage Issues
 Date:  Sat, 07 Jan 2006 18:04:34 -0800
On 1/7/2006 11:35 AM, Stephen Ronan wrote:
> In addition to opening ports 10000-20000, as per this page,
> http://www.vonage.com/help.php?article=89
> you also need to open these ports for outgoing connections:
>
> DNS: Port 53 UDP (Domain Name Server - for resolving server IP addresses)
> TFTP: Port 69 UDP (for profile upgrades/downgrades)
> HTTP: Port 80 UDP (for firmware upgrades/downgrades)
> NTP: Port 123 UDP (Network Time Protocol - so the device can sync to the
> proper time for Caller ID)
> SIP: Port 5061 UDP is used for older Vonage devices (devices provisioned
> before 2005) Also, BSP Proxy Groups 1-8, and a.voncp.com communicate on
> port 5061.
>
> Adding firewall rules to do all of that worked successfully for a vonage
> connection I had inside a m0n0wall-protected network.
>
> Steve

I have no ports forwarded and my Vonage works perfectly behind M0n0wall.
In reading the Vonage forum this is typical. Apparently port forwarding
is not required.

As to your question about which Vonage device is best. When I researched
this I learned that the Linksys RTP300 has better voice quality than
some of the older devices, and is pretty reliable. It seemed to be the
device of choice among the forum participants.