[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jonas Truemper <tausend100 dash m0n0wall at yahoo dot de>
 Subject:  Use aliases for the DNS & DHCP server (feature request?)
 Date:  Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:25:26 +0100
Hi,

I would like to have some aliases for local hosts (like
host1.localdomain) to be available via DNS. So I entered them at the DNS
servers/forwarders page to override answer by DNS servers. The problem
is: I have to enter its IP adress. I can not use its alias. Same with
the DHCP server.
I know using aliases for more than a single host there does not make any
sense - only single hosts should be usable here.

So if I change the IP of a host in the LAN now I need to change it on
the DNS servers page, on the DHCP servers page and on the aliases page.

This is of course suspect to mistyped adresses.

Maybe there is already a way to do this more flexible - where I just
need to define the IP adress at one place and use it anywhere else?
Otherwise I would like to set this as a feature request so maybe only
aliases for single hosts can be entered there. This would be sufficient
I think.

Greetings,
Jonas