[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  FYI: observation with kern.polling: CPU hot
 Date:  Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:10:37 +0100
Hi everybody,

I had some issues with freezes, both on the WRAP and Soekris net4801.
Earlier posts from this ML suggested to check temperatures and I tried
operating the devices with open casing (which seemed to help). However
it was only yesterday that I pressed my index finger onto the CPU chip
and tried to hold on for about 15 seconds.

I could not. Tested with both devices: both CPUs got hotter than I
could bear. Then I remembered this in my XML file:

<shellcmd>sysctl kern.polling.enable=1</shellcmd>

which gave me astonishing low CPU usage of about 2%, even with my 2
mBit SDSL fully saturated. To make a long story short: I removed that
setting, restored the config and now have a noticeably cooler CPU,
although CPU usage is at about 14 - 20% on saturated bandwidth.

I have no explanation for this phenomenom, but wanted to share the
info.

Best regards   Frederick